Resources at UConn
Student Health and Wellness—Mental Health (SHAW-MH; formerly Counseling and Mental Health Services) continues to dedicate our efforts toward supporting the mental health and wellbeing of our campus community. Our guiding principle is the support of students while protecting the health of our students, staff, and faculty.
SHaW-MH is re-launching our Consultation and Support program virtually! Meet with a therapist by video or phone call for free and confidential support, Monday through Friday, 1:00-3:00pm. Get help problem-solving and learn more about mental health services and other resources available to you at UConn. Schedule online at https://myhealth.uconn.edu/.
For more information, visit https://counseling.uconn.edu/consultation-support-drop-in-hour/.
*Please note: The drop-in Consultation & Support program is not for mental health emergencies; students who are experiencing a mental health crisis are encouraged to utilize SHaW-MH on-call services by calling 860-486-4705, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. Outside of business hours, call 911, or reach out to other great crisis resources (see https://counseling.uconn.edu/immediate-help/).
If you are experiencing a serious and immediate life-threatening crisis, please call 911 or the UConn Police Department at 860-486-4800.
Dean of Students Office
Members of the Dean of Students staff are available for online or phone appointments Mon-Fri from 1-3:30. After clicking on the Nexus link below please select one the following staff members to schedule an appointment: Asst. Deans Luz Burgos-Lopez, Paula Wilmot, Kim Duby & Graduate Student Merry Ryer. To make an appointment with another staff member please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also check out:
- UKindness website – https://kindness.studentaffairs.uconn.edu/
- Husky Links sign up – https://kindness.studentaffairs.uconn.edu/husky-links/
Students First Fund
When a student is facing an unexpected crisis, we may be able to financially support through a Students First Fund grant. https://studentaffairs.uconn.edu/students-first-fund/
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC)
- Drop-ins – available to all through May 1 via WebEx during these hours:
- Mondays to Thursdays, 9:00 am – 7:00 pm and Fridays, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- WebEx: Meeting Number: 642 498 841 | Password: AACDropIns
- Workshops/Presentations – access at https://achieve.uconn.edu/pres
- Supplemental Instruction – hosted at regularly scheduled times at https://achieve.uconn.edu/si
- Online Course Help – visit https://achieve.uconn.edu/online-course
- Questions – visit https://achieve.uconn.edu and chat with an academic coach or staff member!
The UConn Writing Center is offering online tutorials https://writingcenter.uconn.edu
- Students will be able to make 45 minute, individualized appointments using the online appointment scheduler. They can then launch a video connection from the appointment system.
The Q Center will offer online tutoring during their normal hours, https://qcenter.uconn.edu
- Monday-Thursday, 11am-11pm | Friday 11am-3pm | Sunday 1pm-11pm
- Online tutoring: https://qcenter.uconn.edu/q-center-online
The Center for Career Development – phone or virtual career sessions can be scheduled at https://uconn.joinhandshake.com/login. Also utilize virtual offerings at https://career.uconn.edu
Dr. Becky Acabchuk, former WiMSE House GA and neuroscientist created a guided meditation for embracing uncertainty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEpJwRv_3g
Guide for Students is designed to provide students participating in online courses at the University of Connecticut with tools and strategies that can be used to assist them in their online studies. In addition to providing general information about online practices at the University, you will also be able to use this Guide to develop skills needed to ensure academic success in an online setting.
Off Campus Resources
Coronavirus crisis resources in Connecticut: From food to legal aid and housing – https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-coronavirus-resource-guide-connecticut-20200319-g4dtz4chjnafzl2wyr35diyce4-story.html
Center for Disease Control Resources – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/resources.html
CT Alliance to End Sexual Violence- 1-888-999-5545 ENGLISH 1-888-568-8332 ESPAÑOL
SafeConnect (through Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence)
888-774-2900 (Call, text, chat; available 24/7 advocacy & counseling support)
RAINN- 1-800-656-4673 or https://hotline.rainn.org/online
National Domestic Violence Hotline- 1-800-799-7233 or https://www.thehotline.org/what-is-live-chat/ or Text LOVEIS to 22522
Crisis Text Line– Anxious about the coronavirus? Text HOME to 741741
The Trans LifeLine for peer support for trans folks 9am-3am CT:1-877-565-8860 This hotline is staffed exclusively by trans operators
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – Connecticut Chapter NAMI Connecticut provides support, education, and advocacy for Connecticut’s citizens affected by mental illness. NAMI Connecticut is offering a number of support groups online.
Free Ten Percent Happier Corona Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Daily 3pm live sessions featuring top meditation/mindfulness teachers: https://www.tenpercent.com/live