The Women in STEM (WiSTEM) Mentoring Program of the Women’s Center is an initiative designed to support underclasswomen pursuing STEM degrees through the mentorship of their upperclasswomen peers. The program spans the full academic year and is structured around monthly meetings designed to provide both the mentor and mentee with resources to flourish in the STEM fields.
Through this program, mentees are matched with a mentor who can provide personal support, academic advice, and knowledge about career development. WiSTEM hopes to prepare our mentees for a successful outcome in STEM at UConn by addressing possible obstacles, including gateway (“weed-out”) courses, GPA recovery, social balance, access to research labs, and communication with professors. Ultimately we want to enhance the role of women in STEM at UConn through discussion and education about women’s issues, gender equity and stereotypes, and female representation.
- Be a current UConn undergraduate first or second year woman who will be enrolled on the Storrs campus for the entire upcoming academic year.
- Must have an expected major in the STEM fields. List can be found here
- Must be willing to coordinate with mentor and participate in mandatory scheduled events
Mentor Qualifications include:
- Be a current UConn undergraduate junior or senior woman who will be enrolled on the Storrs campus for the entire upcoming academic year.
- Must have a major in the STEM fields List can be found here
- Must be committed to assisting and spending time with your mentee(s).
- Must demonstrate a continued interest in pursuing a major/career in the STEM fields.
- Must show progress towards academic excellence.
Applications to participate in this year’s program are available below. All applications are due by October 1st. If you have any questions please email WiSTEM@uconn.edu.